Some Positive Tech Chat
There’s no denying it’s been a pretty rough time for everyone this last week or so and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to change anytime soon.
With notifications every 10 minutes, it can be a bit overwhelming and anxiety-inducing, so I wanted to write some positive tech chat about the impressiveness, growth, innovativeness and resilience of the tech industry across Scotland and the rest of the UK.
Tech Nation have recently published their annual report for 2020 about the ‘state of the nation’ when it comes to tech and as usual the tech industry is in such a strong place.
The craziest part of the report to me: Tech employment accounts for nearly 10% of all jobs in the UK, and went up by 40% in the last two years – creating nearly 3 million jobs!
Some other key and pretty impressive points about the UK tech industry:
- Records have been shattered – tech investment is up by 44% to over £10bn, which is more than France and Germany combined.
- We are second in the world(!) for fintech – investment rose by 100% in the last year.
- We are number one in Europe for emerging tech, and third in the world for both emerging tech investment and AI specific investment.
- Edinburgh is one of the top 20 cities for tech investment (along with Cambridge, Bristol and Oxford).
- 8 tech unicorns were created in 2019 – which was head and shoulders above any other country!
In the past four years, there has been a 150% increase in demand for filling tech roles. There are more than 20x more jobs in technology specific roles than there was for creative roles, and honestly, it looks like that number is just gonna keep going up!
These were some of the key things that jumped out at me, but you can also check out the whole report using the link here: https://technation.io/report2020/
As usual, happy to chat all thing tech recruitment whether you are or aren’t looking right now/just want a catch up about the general state of the industry – give me a shout on 0131 510 1500.