6 minutes and 25 seconds to nail an interview (and what else to do!)
According to research just carried out by job board Monster.co.uk, on average, employers make their mind up about a prospective candidate within just six minutes and twenty five seconds of the interview. Half of employers surveyed said that they make up their mind about a candidate by their handshake! Here are the key stats and what to do and not do:
* Have a good handshake - half of employers use this to decide if they are going to employ you
* Dress well - six out of ten employers said that dress sense affects whether they think the candidate is employable or not
* Get the lasers out or cover yourself up - two third of those surveyed said that they are immediately put off by tattoos
* Stare at them lovingly - 82% want eye contact
* Give them some quality chat - 60% are impressed by the ability to have small talk or "banter"
* Get the guyliner out - apparently 70% make impressions by the way you apply your makeup
The good news is that the number one attribute employers look for is experience (36%), followed by first impressions (24%) then education (12%).
And it's not all one way! Of the 3,280 employees surveyed, 70% are also influenced by first impressions, 60% are likely to decide on the position by the interviewer’s handshake and 50% see the employer's dress sense as a differentiating factor!